Saturday, November 12, 2005

A place on a human scale


Over the past 25 years Simon Calder has watched Dubai grow from a tiny port to a vibrant city - but some things never change
British Caledonian had the right idea. A quarter of a century ago, when the much-missed airline began flying between Gatwick and Hong Kong, the airline chose to refuel in Dubai. At the time, the emirate barely registered on most people's mental maps; anyone who had heard of Dubai probably knew it as a minor trading port. But I was among the curious who stepped into a sleepy little airport adjoining a quaint little city.

In 25 years, "BCal" has been swallowed up by British Airways and subsequently erased. Aircraft can now easily reach Hong Kong without a stop. Yet Dubai has become home to one of the world's fastest-growing airlines, Emirates, and is now a highly sought-after stopover, and a holiday destination in its own right.

3 comments:

The Immigrant said...

I definitely don't have all the answers sonuk ha, but I know that as long as people keep sharing ideas like this, the truth will eventually reveal itself and hopefully make the world a better place to live in. I've been looking for canadian immigration info and news - yeah I know I should probably get a life, but there's just something about canadian immigration that gets me thinking of better times.

Your post about A place on a human scale was a good read compared to a lot of the other stuff that's out there! Keep up the good work, I will definitely swing by again soon.

The Immigrant said...

I definitely don't have all the answers sonuk ha, but I know that as long as people keep sharing ideas like this, the truth will eventually reveal itself and hopefully make the world a better place to live in. I've been looking for citizenship and immigration in canada info and news - yeah I know I should probably get a life, but there's just something about citizenship and immigration in canada that gets me thinking of better times.

Your post about A place on a human scale was a good read compared to a lot of the other stuff that's out there! Keep up the good work, I will definitely swing by again soon.

Nick Roberts said...

Hi sonuk ha, I'm looking for someone who could give me more info on new immigration rule for canada and I came accross your post about A place on a human scale. Although it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, it definitely gave me a new perspective. Right now anything that looks like new immigration rule for canada would be of interest to me since I'm thinking of starting a new life in Canada and want to be as informed as possible about my options.

If you know of any other blogs or websites that I could check out to get some more info on new immigration rule for canada, I'd be very grateful. I really enjoyed your blog - thanks for the great read.